Climbing Mount Kinabalu is a good expertise however an costly one. On this weblog publish we focus on all climbing bundle choices, how you can do the hike, lodging, greatest season for climbing and what to anticipate.
At 4101m above sea degree Mount Kinabalu is the tallest mountain in Borneo and one of many highest in South East Asia. Low’s Peak is the very best level and may be climbed with none particular gear or coaching. It’s a steep hike that includes the usage of some information ropes scrambling up and down the steepest elements. The hike is hard when accomplished in at some point and the views spectacular. Sadly like most different longer hikes in South East Asia it’s not potential to do impartial and thus mainly not possible to do for reasonable.
Mountaineering Mount Kinabalu
Mount Kinabalu is the very best peak in Sabah’s Crocker Vary. The panorama is actually stunning and vary from tropical rainforest to subalpine close to the summit. Climbing the mountain is steep and fairly robust with greater than 20 000 folks trying to succeed in Low’s Peak per 12 months. The route is straightforward to comply with, however may be slippery and visibility unhealthy when it rains and the fog will get very dense.
Guidelines for climbing Mount Kinabalu modified considerably within the final couple of years. I’ve climbed Mount Kinabalu in 1 day, splitting the obligatory information with Four different hikers in complete the climb price me about $50, since 2015 at some point permits usually are not obtainable any longer, you’ll be able to solely do the hike over 2 days costing $400 and up!
The complete hike is 8.72km a method, so 17,Four km return over two days with an elevation acquire of 2300m and off target 2300m to stroll down. Climbers have two days to aim the climb. On day one hikers begin at Timpohon Gate ascending to Laban Rata the place they in a single day. Day two is a really early begin with climbers beginning at round 2 am climbing to Low’s Peak to make it for dawn earlier than turning round and descending alongside the identical path.
From Timpohon Gate to Laban Rata
The hike up Mount Kinabalu normally begins between 7.30-10.30 am. The hike takes between 3-5 hours to succeed in Laban Rata from Timpohon Gate. From Timpohon Gate the route is properly marked with indicators marking the path each couple of hundred meters. The path begins out going up, the incline for the primary 4 kilometers is average to troublesome on a rocky floor and a number of stairs, primarily stone steps with a few wood staircases, about half the path is climbing up stairs! I didn’t depend however heard there are 380 flights of stairs on the primary day! The final two kilometers to Laban Rata is steep and really rocky. The vertical ascent is 1400 metres from Kinabalu Park.
Day two the summit
The overall distance for day two is 11.Four km, from the summit it’s nonetheless a good distance down. From Laban Rata, the climb may be very steep, it is just 2.7 km to the summit with a improve in elevation of 800m! principally sluggish progress up steps and over easy rock faces.
There are about 180 units of steps on the second day virtually all within the first 700m, from right here the following 2 km is on easy granite rock surfaces, there are information ropes to help and comply with the summit. There’s a number of scrambling getting up this robust half, usually utilizing the ropes to rise up over the sleek floor. Some part are actually steep and holding on to the ropes when taking place is usually vital.
The hike was robust with an elevation acquire of 2229m in complete. I labored as a dive teacher for Three months on Sipadan doing no strolling for months earlier than doing the Kinabalu climb! My muscular tissues had been sore afterwards!
Mount Kinabalu by way of Ferrata
Mount Kinabalu has the very best by way of ferrata route on the earth and is famend for its spectacular views. A by way of ferrata, which means ‘iron street’ in Italian, is a protected mountain pathway consisting of rails, cables and bridges on the steep rock face. By utilizing the by way of Ferrata, steep rock faces that may usually solely be climbed by mountaineers and rock climbers with expertise may be climbed by anybody of avg health, even with none expertise.
This street begins at 3,200 meters and ends at 3,776 meters above sea degree. This mountain pathway consists of a collection of rails, cables, and bridges that lead you from the start line to the tip, strolling subsequent to the rock’s face.
The Mount Kinabalu By way of Ferrata has 2 routes; Stroll the Torq and Low’s Peak Circuit. Lows Peak Circuit is the tougher route. No climbing expertise is required to aim both of the routes.
The route has a size of 1.2km and a improve in elevation of 365m. The Mount Kinabalu climb by way of Ferrata begins at about RM2000 ($510).
The by way of ferrata is finished after reaching the summit. In the event you do the conventional hike you’ll begin taking place after reaching the summit, however in case you have opted for the by way of ferrata (Stroll the Torq or Low’s Peak) you’ll do the extra exercise after reaching the summit, earlier than they head down the mountain.
Lodging on Mount Kinabalu
- Laban Rata Hut – Hosts 77 commonplace summit climbers each worldwide and Malaysian.
- Pendant Hut Hosts 33 By way of Ferrata climbers, each worldwide or Malaysian
- Lemaing Hostel 25 commonplace summit climbers, solely Malaysian
Methods to Climb Mount Kinabalu with or with out a Tour.
Mount Kinabalu can’t be climbed impartial, it’s obligatory to make use of a information. As much as 5 individuals are allowed to share one information so this isn’t a giant expense. It’s nevertheless not obligatory to do an organised tour. You’ll be able to e book all the pieces by yourself, or use an company, which is clearly simpler, however extra pricey.
Climbing Kinabalu with out an company – It’s potential to arrange the hike by yourself, crucial factor that’s normally absolutely booked forward of time is the lodging on the mountain. Do all your personal reserving the next manner:
- E book a mattress at Laban Rata lodging on the mountain by contacting Sutera Sanctuary Lodges (SSL) the administration of lodging in Kinabalu Park and Laban Rata www.suterasanctuarylodges.com.my or visiting their workplace in Kota Kinabalu
- Go to Park Headquarters the day earlier than within the morning and e book a information.
- Arrive on the Park Head quaters, pay for allow, insurance coverage, mountain information, shuttle bus and park entrance price. Obtain a packed lunch, identification tag (should be worn throughout the hike)
- Meet your information
- Get on the shuttle bus
- Begin trekking
Since there are restricted areas obtainable folks e book as far forward as potential. It’s at all times potential to get a final minute reserving, folks usually cancel, in case you are alone your probabilities of getting a final minute reserving is significantly better. I do know solo vacationers that bought final minute bookings in 2019.
Attempting to pay money for SSL by electronic mail may be irritating.
Reserving by way of an company – reserving by way of an company is dearer, however they normally make it trouble free, with many packages beginning and ending in Kota Kinabalu and together with a number of providers. We record a pair right here, I’ll suggest you learn critiques on the varied excursions. Please learn the phrases and situations cautious when reserving, most bookings is just not refunded upon cancellation of the climb for any cause.
Climbing Mount Kinabalu Packages
There are a number of choices for climbing mt Kinabalu; the 2 day one night time possibility (2D1N), the three day 2 night time possibility (3d2N) and climbing Mount Kinabalu by way of Ferrata. There are lots of firms providing packages to climb the mountain.
- Sutera Sanctuary lodges are the most affordable, they personal the lodging on the mountain and all firms will set up lodging by way of them, including to the value.
- Reserving affirmation and what’s included within the bundle is evident which is sweet.
- Sutera Sanctuary web site not nice (web site down January 2019), reserving on-line is troublesome.
- Typically sluggish to reply to emails.
- Packages don’t embody transport.
As a result of competitors the value distinction between packages provided by completely different firms is shrinking and corporations don’t solely compete on worth, however provide all inclusive packages and attempt to provide you with a greater expertise.
Mt Kinabalu – the 2 day one night time possibility (2D1N) – with out a tour
The 2-day one-night possibility is the shortest and hottest manner of presently climbing Mt Kinabalu. Whenever you e book your climbing bundle by way of SSL you reserve a spot for climbing and your dormitory mattress on the mountain. The bundle consists of meals and lodging, you continue to must pay a few different charges:
- Sabah Parks entrance price Malaysian R3/foreigner R15 – $3.68
- Climbing allow Malaysian RM50/foreigner RM200 – $49.02
- Climbing insurance coverage, obligatory RM7 – $1.72
- Obligatory Information RM230 can break up one information with as much as 6 hikers =RM38 – $9.31
- Transport to and from the pinnacle of the path from Park HQ. RM68 return per group of 4 = RM17 per particular person – $4.17
- Sutera Sanctuary climbing bundle Malaysian RM875/foreigner RM1309 staying in dormitory lodging – $320.68
- TOTAL $388.58 worth for solo worldwide climber staying in dormitory lodging*
* Personal Rooms can be found on the following worth per room (sleeps 2) – Worldwide: RM3,147.00 ($771.40), Malaysian: RM2,279.00
For a world climber sharing a room will work out $64.80 per particular person dearer than staying within the dormitory.
Optionally available charges
- Memento certificates: RM10
- Left-luggage storage: RM12
- Mountaineering pole rental : RM15
- Rent porters: The speed is RM8 for every kg of bags. – don’t know why you would wish a porter to hold your stuff for one night time.
Klook Finances 2D1N Inclusive Climb
Nice costs, solo non-Malaysian climbers $410, nice reductions couple from $330 pp – extra information costs reserving – Climb Kinabalu
- Single night time lodging at Panalaban Hostel (unisex shared dormitory)
- Shared round-trip transfers
- Entrance charges and climbing allow
- Skilled mountaineering information
- English-speaking coordinator
- Certificates of Participation
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late supper for 2D1N
- Insurance coverage
Not Inclusive Of:
- Porter charges
- Ideas and gratuities (optionally available)
- Mountaineering information for youngsters and teenagers aged 5-15 (MYR230 per information)
- Extra time prices upon descent (MYR15 per hour)
- Extra time prices for transportation throughout descent (MYR80 per van, one-way)
- Malaysian Tourism Tax (MYR10 per participant)
Fashionable Klook 2D1N Kinabalu Climb
Hottest Kinabalu climb with Klook, solo non-Malaysian climbers $557, Malaysian RM 1880, nice reductions couple from $493 pp non-Malaysian, RM 2020 Malaysian – extra information costs reserving – Climb Kinabalu
Discover Borneo and Climb Kinabalu
Wish to discover extra of Borne and see all of Sabah? Try this superior 17 day journey on this tropical paradise. Summit Kinabalu, discover the right island of Pulau Tiga (the place they shot a season of Survivor), go to Mulu Nationwide Park and Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre, I had a good time in Sepilok. Extremely Rated, small group tour. Test it out and e book right here Borneo journey together with climbing Mount Kinabalu
River Junkie Excursions
- River Junkie Excursions a Borneo-based tour operator is a dependable, reliable, finances possibility for Mt Kinabalu.
- Superb web site.
- Simple to succeed in, very responsive.
- Glorious critiques on Tripadvisor and different web sites.
- They’ll worth match for those who discover a cheaper cope with a unique operator.
2D1N packages can now solely be confirmed inside 30 days of the climbing date and are topic to restricted availability.
- Lower-off time for beginning the hike is 10:30, attempt to get to Kinabalu Park Headquarters early.
- Register, obtain tags and meal vouchers, choose up packed lunch from restaurant. Meet your information go to beginning gate collectively. Hike 6km to Laban Rata Resthouse (3300m above sealevel), examine in.
- Hike is principally stairs and rocky terrain with the final km the hardest.
- Avg climbing time Four to six hours
- Keep in dormitory, bedding supplied, convey garments for chilly climate thermals, beanie and many others.
- Apparently buffet meals is nice, can refill water bottles at dinner
- Rise up 2:30 for ascent, convey headlamp
- Hike 3-Four hours to summit for dawn
- Descent takes avg 5-6 hours
The three day two night time possibility (3D2N)
These packages don’t take any longer to summit, you get an additional night time round Kinabalu park, mixed with additional actions. The benefit is that these packages may be booked greater than 30 days upfront.
The Greatest season to climb Mt Kinabalu
The most effective months to climb mt Kinabalu are February, March and April the dry season. The worst time is October to January throughout monsoon season attributable to heavy rains. Summit climb is usually cancelled throughout heavy rain, climbers should go down after spending the night time within the resthouse.
Mt Kinabalu lodging
Kinabalu Park is positioned about 2 hours from the capital, Kota Kinabalu. There are lots of public buses of various budgets doing this journey. If it’s essential e book lodging near the park there’s a selection obtainable for each finances we suggest the next:
Backpacker Finances Kinabalu Valley Homestay – For $10 per night time, room is an excellent deal. Good location close to Kinabalu park, pleasant house owners, shared toilet, use of kitchen nice for finances vacationers.
Desire a bit extra luxurious after the hike? Ren – Hana Kampungstay Kundasang – superior location close to the park, good view of Mount Kinabalu, personal bathroom- $27 for room
Gear for climbing Kinabalu
Gear that’s important for this hike:
LIKE IT? PIN IT!